Strictly speaking, the High Holy Days, in Judaism, more properly known as the Yamim Noraim, may mean the holy days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur or, by extension, the period of ten days including those holidays, known also as the Ten Days of Repentance; or by a further extension, the entire 40-day penitential period in the Jewish year from Rosh Chodesh Elul to Yom Kippur, traditionally taken to represent the forty days Moses spent on Mount Sinai before coming down with the second set of the Tablets of stone.
The High Holy Days at BKB
BKB observes the High Holy Days for the period from S’lichot through Simchat Torah including:
- The Saturday night Selichot service just before Rosh HaShanah. S’elichot is that moment in which we begin our communal process of t’shuvah, usually translated as repentance.
- Rosh HaShanah evening and moring services and Tashlich at a local body of water on Rosh HaShanah day.
- Yom Kippur evening service (Kol Nidre) and Yom Kippur day morning, afternoon, and evening services.
- Construction of a sukkah
- Sukkot Evening Service
- BBQ Shabbat dinner during Sukkot (cancelled during COVID)
- Simchat Torah evening observance
Please check the BKB calendar on this website or on BKB’s Facebook Page for dates and times for these services. Tickets are not required.
5782/2021 BKB HIGH HOLY DAYS CALENDAR
CONNECTION (HOW TO ATTEND A SERVICE) KEY:
Connection #1: Regathering (in-person), Zoom and Facebook
Connection #2: Zoom and Facebook onlY
Connection #3; Regathering (in-person) only
|Selichot||Sat, Aug. 28||7:00 pm||Evening Service||#1|
|Erev Rosh HaShanah||Mon, Sep. 6||7:30 pm
|Rosh HaShanah||Tue, Sep. 7||10:00 am||Morning Service||#1|
|Tashlich||Tue, Sep. 7||4:00 pm||Afternoon Service||Aqueduct,
Godde Hill Rd.
|Shabbat Shuvah||Fri, Sep. 10||7:30 pm||Shabbat Evening Service||#2|
|Kever Avot||Sun. Sep.12||10:00 am||High Holy Days Season Memorial Service||Joshua Memorial Park|
|Erev Yom Kippur
|Wed, Sep. 15||
|Yom Kippur Morning Service||Thu, Sep. 16||10:00 am||Morning Service||#1|
|Yom Kippur Afternoon Service||Thu, Sep. 16||3:00 pm||Minchah Service||#1|
|Yom Kippur Memorial Service||Thu, Sep. 16||4:30 pm||Yizkor (Memorial) Service||#1|
|Yom Kippur Evening Service||Thu, Sep. 16||5:30 pm
|Ne’ilah Service and Kiddush||#1|
|Erev Sukkot||Mon, Sep 20||7:30 pm||Evening Service
|Erev Simchat Torah||Mon, Sep 27||7:30 pm||Evening Service||#1|
- Each in-person service requires a separate prior reservation and the following of all BKB COVID protection rules.
- To get a Zoom invitation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To watch on Facebook Live, search for “Congregation Beth Knesset Bamidbar”.