The History of Congregation Beth Knesset Bamidbar (BKB)
(Congregation of the Desert)
The Reform Jewish Congregation of the Antelope Valley
1951: In January 1951, nine Jewish families gathered together to conduct weekly Shabbat Services in their homes. Business meetings were held at the Community Hall on Cedar Street. They purchased a former church on Date Avenue. Torahs were donated and the building was dedicated May 24, 1953.
1958: With membership growing, five acres “way out of town” were bought in 1958. The forerunner of the present structure was dedicated September 15, 1963.
1976: BKB affiliates with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now the Union for Reform Judaism).
1978: In 1978, a fire swept through the building, so congregation activities continued at local churches. The temple was rededicated April 13, 1980.
Today: On five acres of land, BKB has a sanctuary/social hall and an education wing. In the sanctuary is a “Western Wall” style pulpit and a seating section for up to 200 people. Our bimah (pulpit) includes:
Stained glass windows with Hebrew letters that represent the Ten Commandments.
A Ner Tamid (Eternal Light)that is a broken Star of David as a memorial to Jews who perished in the Holocaust.